September 8, 2009

Class Journal: 3 of My Best Students

Three of my best students... it seems almost wrong to admit this sort of thing, but it's also realistic.  When I think of this question, I immediately think back to my times at Brighton.  The first such student that I can recall was a sophomore when I taught him, and one of the very first students I taught as a new teacher.  He challenged me on my very first day of teaching, giving me a goofy nickname when I had asked the kids to share another name while introducing themselves if they saw fit.  The thing that makes him the best is the fact that from that first day, I decided- nearly unconsciously- that I would humor him and laugh along with his suggestion.  The name stuck for the rest of the year, and that one moment of humor set a tone of true appreciation for the "chucklehead" (I say that affectionately) teenagers I'd be teaching.  Throughout the rest of the year with this student, he had my respect and I earned his.  He struggled, but was not afraid to come to me for help, and he also worked diligently to do better.  I truly believe that this first moment was a defining moment for me in my teaching career, and that it ensured much of the success I had in the months to come with that particular antsy group of students.
A second student that I think of was also a sophomore when I taught her.  I had her a year after the boy mentioned above, and she reminds me of him in some ways.  She was somewhat loud, generally well-liked but sometimes seen as "crazy" or "weird" because she had a very unique sense of humor.  Again, whereas some teachers might come down hard on her for her kookyness, I was not afraid of it.  She cracked me up, and I let this come into my teaching.  Like Professor Lewis just mentioned in class, she was one of my clowns and I used her entertainment instead of cornering it and removing it.  She and I built a rapport that extended into the hallways, after school, and during moments when I visit my old school- she is a vibrant young girl, and I love her for it.  I would like to add, because I do think these factors are important pieces of who are students are and who we are as teachers, that she is African American.  She spoke to me in a way that others might have been put off by, but I knew to be truly respectful.  I am grateful for the encouragement and confidence she helped me gain as I taught her.
A third student, my final "best" student, is a young girl who I look back on fondly for her dedication and willingness to learn.  This student had just moved from China about three months prior to starting her school year as a freshman.  I remember thinking to myself, "Oh my gosh, she doesn't know how to speak English... what am I going to do?!"  I taught class with her as an integrated part of it, mostly going about things as I normally would, but often reconsidering things with a critical eye of, "What can I add to this situation to make sure she's on board?"  She truly taught me that I could differentiate and that my students could learn!  We spent many afternoons together during the year, talking- through gestures, digital dictionary phrases, and notes- about how her thought process was on the right track, but she just needed to change a few things along the way.  She is one of the sweetest students I've ever met, and she really touched my heart.  She wrote me a card at Thanksgiving, when given the option of creating one for any teacher she is thankful for, and it told me how much she appreciated my help.  I will never forget her, not only for her thanks, but for the type of student she was- driven, optimistic, and bright-eyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment